Welcome to my portfolio! This page contains a selection of my work in the fields of writing, photo retouching, video editing, and game/graphic design.
I have developed a variety of skills both through my consulting work for nature publishing company Nature Nearby and through my efforts in designing, publishing, and selling tabletop games as Phantom Knight Games. These skills include Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Premiere, and InDesign, research journalism, script writing, WordPress, Facebook Pages, cross-discipline collaboration, and managing a convention presence.
In 2014, I graduated cum laude from Santa Clara University with a bachelor’s degree in Communications and Theatre Arts, winning both the Justin T. McCarthy Oratory Award and an Outstanding Achievement in Playwriting Award. I was also selected twice to have a full-length play read in the college’s New Works Festival. Other courses included qualitative experiment design, digital art and graphic design, journalism, and directing.
My most recent accomplishment is placing 2nd in the Great Designer Search 3, a Magic: The Gathering card design competition sponsored by Wizards of the Coast that drew almost 8000 entrants. Performing well in the contest meant creating cards that met the judges’ exacting design standards, appealed to a broad audience, and pushed the boundaries of what the game could do. I also managed a small team of playtesters to help polish and iterate my card files each round. As a result of the competition, I was invited to create a prepackaged “Brawl” deck, which was received well by the player base.
In my spare time, I enjoy pinball, baking, and patronizing excellent restaurants.
For more information, please visit my LinkedIn.
- Hummingbirds: Living Jewels: A research article about hummingbird behavior written for Nature Nearby.
- Happy Daggers Rulebook: The rulebook for my 2-player Shakespearean combat game Happy Daggers.
- Celebrating 20 Years: A blog post written for ZL Technologies about the company’s history, in commemoration of its 20th anniversary.
- Press Release for ZL Technologies
- The Arty of Party, Part 1 and Part 2: A two-part essay for my game company’s website about designing party games.
- Ippuku: Review of a Japanese restaurant in Berkeley for Bay Area Theatre and Bites.
- Information About My Contract Work For Magic: The Gathering
Games and Graphic Design
E-mail: jpgeist (at) gmail (dot) com